We love Midland, and the feeling is mutual.
In 2016 and 2018, Midland Daily News Readers voted King’s Daughters Home their favorite Assisted Living Facility AND their #1 Nursing Home. Hooray and THANK YOU!
Our senior community was founded in 1947 by King’s Daughters and Sons of Midland – including Dorothy Dow Arbury and Grace A. Dow. You’ll notice the name “Dow” everywhere in Midland, as Dow Chemical Company was founded in Midland in 1897, and our town is still home to the company’s world headquarters. Our city is consistently voted in the top small cities in America by Forbes and Livability.com.
Many of our residents worked for Dow or Dow Corning. Others were life-long teachers in the Midland school system. Some worked at the hospital. Some were farmers. All lived vibrant lives in their work places and communities, and all of them still lead vibrant lives at King’s Daughters Home.
Here are some of the places and things we love about our Midland community:
- Midland Center for the Arts – We love the musicals, shows, events, education, museums, 2 theaters, and more!
- Dow Gardens & Whiting Forest – The fun thing about these gardens is every time you go there, it’s new due to its seasonal displays. So beautiful! And now we also have Whiting Forest, the nation’s longest canopy walk, 1,400 feet long, soaring up to 40 feet above the ground.
- Alden B. Dow House & Studio – The house is set in a pond. Yes, you read that right. It’s in the water! We imagine that Alden B. Dow was watching the fish swim by out his window when he designed the architecture of our own facility.
- The World’s Oldest Santa Claus School – Want to learn to embrace the spirit of Christmas and become a Santa or Mrs. Claus? Do it at the oldest school in the world.
- The Tridge – We love the tridge so much that we have a mural of it painted on our dining room wall.
- “City of Beautiful Churches” – Many of those churches are close to us in proximity, and others send members of their congregations to meet with our residents and worship in our chapel.
- MidMichigan Medical Center – What a great place for care and healing!
- Greater Midland (Community Center) – We are right next door, and we often go over to the community center for activities or to the band shell to hear live music
- Dow Baseball Diamond – Go Loons! During summers, we take our residents to minor league games.
- Dahlia Hill – What happens when you plant 3000 tubers on a hillside? You get a huge display of blooming flowers – every one of them unique!
- Midland Area Farmers Market – Mmmm, fresh fruits, veggies, flowers, cider, handmade goods, and more. We love it!
We could go on and on! But we’ll save that for another blog post. Better yet, come visit us, and we can talk about all of the wonderfulness of Midland together!